personal book project, three years documenting the construction of the
replica VOC spice trader 'Duyfken'.
book is almost a manual on how to build and sail a VOC era sailing ship.
photographed, designed and illustrated, this book also illustrates why
this type of ship evolved ... to serve the spice trade.
- the VOC replica ship "the duyfken", two years to build and one year sailing on a voyage of re-enactment, via the "spice islands"
- book of "to build a ship- the VOC replica ship Duyfken" by
robert garvey is now out, in book stores (isbn 1 8762 68573)
or available from the University of Western Australia
press web site
- also available in the USA from bookstores
(isbn 1 8762 68573) or
- available in the Netherlands in Dutch
translation from National Geographic books (isbn: 90-76963-26-6)
- learn more about the Duyfken at the official site www.duyfken.com